Low-Income Senior Citizen Discount Program
The District is pleased to be able to offer rate assistance to qualifying low-income senior citizens. Currently, this program supports more than 250 households at a cost of approximately a nickel per month to all District customers. In order to qualify for the program, low-income seniors must meet the following eligibility criteria and income requirements:
- Age 62 or older
- Own and live year-round in their homes
- May not own additional rental or investment properties; and
- Annual household income is within the Federal Poverty Guidelines noted below
|Year||Household Annual Income||Discount|
|2019-2020||Up to $21,138||35% discount|
|Up to $33,830 per year||20% discount|
|2020-2021||Up to $21,550||35% discount|
|Up to $34,480 per year||20% discount|
Automatic re-enrollment (COVID-19): All seniors who received the discount last year will be automatically re-enrolled for the coming year.
Eligible seniors wishing to participate need to present these documents at the District office:
- Copy of prior year’s tax return. If you are not required to file an income tax return, submit copies of your three most recent bank statements.
- Valid picture ID with birthdate (first-time applicants only)
- Copy of prior year’s annual social security income statement or an alternate retirement statement
Seniors currently receiving the discount, or those who previously received an application packet, will receive a letter and application packet by mail in early June. Others should stop by or call the District office to request an application packet.
The new guidelines and discount rates begin August 1 of the current year through July 31 of the following year.