Low-Income Senior Citizen Discount Program
The District is pleased to be able to offer rate assistance to qualifying low-income senior citizens. Currently, this program supports more than 250 households at a cost of approximately a nickel per month to all District customers. In order to qualify for the program, low-income seniors must meet the following eligibility criteria and income requirements:
- Age 62 or older
- Own and live year-round in their homes
- May not own additional rental or investment properties; and
- Annual household income is within the Federal Poverty Guidelines noted below
|Year||Household Annual Income||Discount|
|2021-2022||Up to $21,775||35% discount|
|Up to $34,840 per year||20% discount|
|2022-2023||Up to $22,888||35% discount|
|Up to $36,620 per year||20% discount|
Eligible seniors wishing to participate need to present these documents at the District office:
- Copy of prior year’s tax return. If you are not required to file an income tax return, submit copies of your prior year’s October, November, and December bank statements.
- Valid picture ID with date of birth (first-time applicants only).
- Copy of prior year’s annual social security income statement or an alternate retirement statement (e.g., pensions, IRAs).
Seniors currently receiving the discount will receive a Renewal Affidavit by mail in early June to complete, sign, and return by June 30 to prevent a lapse in their discount. Others should stop by or call the District office to request an application packet.
The new guidelines and discount rates begin August 1 of the current year through July 31 of the following year.